Is Fred VanVleet The Most Successful Fred In Sports History?
The short answer is no, but he's climbing the ranks.
Fred VanVleet has had quite the meteoric rise over the past 5 years. He went from being undrafted to being a key member of a championship team and signing an $85M contract.
He's good but he might not be the best Fred to ever play professional sports.
Here is Fred's resume:
- NBA Champion
- NBA D-League Champion
- 3rd Team NCAA All-American
- 2 time MVC Player of the Year
- 3 time All-MVC
Let's take a look at the contenders:
- 1 Pro Bowl
- 1 First-team All-Pro
- 1 Second-team All-Pro
- NFL All-Rookie Team
- 2 time NCAA Division II Champion
- Starred as Hunter in Hunter
Better than VanVleet? No. Hunter was a pretty good show though.
- 3 time AFL All-Star
- AFL Champion
- Nicknamed "The Hammer"
- Star of many 1970 blaxploitation films and was in From Dusk Till Dawn
Better than VanVleet? No. He was in some great movies though.
- Super Bowl Champ
- Super Bowl MVP
- 4 time Pro Bowl
- First team All-Pro
- NFL receptions leader (1971)
- Consensus NCAA All-American
Better than VanVleet? Yes. They named the award for the best receiver in the NCAA after him. There's no VanVleet award. Yet.
- 5 time All-Star
- World Series Champion
- 3 time Silver Slugger
- 2 time HR leader
- Had an awesome nickname "The Crimedog"
Better than VanVleet? Yes. For now. McGriff had sustained success. Also it's nuts that he got his nickname from a PSA.
- 9 time All-Star
- AL MVP
- AL Rookie of the Year
- ALCS MVP
- 4 time Gold Glove winner
- AL batting champ
- Red Sox Hall of Fame
Better than VanVleet? Yes. But VanVleet has a chance to be about Fred Lynn's equal.
- Australian Open champion singles and doubles (1 each)
- French Open champion singles, doubles, and mixed doubles (1 each)
- Wimbledon champion 3 times singles and 2 times mixed doubles
- US Open champion 3 times singles and 1 time mixed doubles
- 4 time Davis Cup champion
- One of the best and most decorated tennis player of all time.
Better than VanVleet? Yes. Perry was a legend.
- 2 time All-Star
- World Series champion
- AL ERA leader
- Awesome nickname "Sweaty Freddy"
Better than VanVleet? No. It's close right now and VanVleet still has half a career to go.
- 15 time PGA Tour winner
- 3 time European Tour winner
- Masters champion
- 2 time player of the year
- 1992 leading money winner
- Awesome nickname Freddy "Boom Boom" Couples
Better than VanVleet? Yes but this is another one that VanVleet could catch.
I probably missed a few in here (feel free to comment below) but it looks like Rockford's Fred ranks pretty high. He already has a pretty good nickname, Mr. Bet On Yourself. That's how cool Fred is, he gave himself a nickname, which is very hard to do.
We'll all be keeping an eye on Fred to see how high he can climb on the all-time Fred list.