It’s Weiner Time: The Top 5 Ranked Hot Dog Stands In Illinois
If you're looking to try some of the best hot dogs of all time then you definitely have to add these joints to your bucket list.
Illinois Is The Home Of The Hot Dog
I don't care about the history of the hot dog when it comes to the home state of the tasty lunchtime favorite. It's got to be Illinois without a doubt. There is one that is actually named after its biggest city. It's the Chicago-style hot dog. The restaurants take their weiners to the next level. There are even special rules like no ketchup allowed on them.
When I was growing up, there were little mom-and-pop hot dog stands all over the Chicago area. That's how Portillo's started in my hometown. During the summertime, my friends and I would ride our bikes to the best places. We could get a couple of dogs, fries, and a drink really cheap. I could easily afford it with my paper route money. It's too bad most of them are gone now. Don't worry there are still plenty of places to check out. Some are even considered the best in the country.
The Top Five Hot Dog Joints In Illinois
There are so many good places for dogs that it's hard to pick just a handful. It's like a parent picking their favorite child. If you enjoy hot dogs, here are five places you should definitely visit sometime in the near future.
- #1 Gene And Jude's In River Grove: Your choices are hot dogs and fries, nothing else. Plus, it's all take-out.
- #2 The Wieners Circle in Chicago: The workers will give you a hard time but the insults are definitely worth it
- #3 Superdawg Drive-In in Chicago: You don't even have to get out of your car to have one of these tasty dogs.
- #4 Wolfy's In Chicago: Even if you don't like hot dogs, they pride themselves on changing people's opinions.
- #5 Portillo's in Rockford: I thought we needed a place in Rockford. Of course, it has to have a Chicago connection.