Chicago Police Release Marijuana Facts Video
As you may know, recreational marijuana becomes legal here in Illinois on January 1st, but the Chicago Police Department wants you to know that there are definitely rules.
Some Illinois cities are taking a wait-and-see approach before deciding whether or not to allow sales in their varying municipalities, while others have said it's just not going to happen.
Recreational marijuana will be legal in Chicago, however Mayor Lightfoot approved an ordinance to prohibit the sale and use of marijuana downtown. A few weeks ago the city also announced a public service campaign called Cannabis Facts Chicago, for those who plan to use recreational marijuana.
Chicago is encouraging residents considering consuming cannabis to review these health and safety tips:
- Protect your brain - Studies have shown that cannabis use in young people can impair brain development.
- Know your dose - Cannabis now comes in many different forms and is much more potent than in the past.
- Avoid frequent use - Daily cannabis use, particularly in high doses, can impair your memory.
- Don't consume if pregnant or breastfeeding - There is no safe amount of cannabis while pregnant or breastfeeding, regardless of how you consume it.
- Don't drive while high - Driving while under the influence of cannabis is not just dangerous to yourself and others, it's also illegal.
- Keep it safe - Ensure that the only person using your cannabis is you.