Walmart Makes Changes Due To COVID-19
Walmart announces changes to hours of operation and special shopping hours in response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
After a weekend adjustment to store hours that allowed employees to better clean, sanitize, and stock shelves, Walmart has laid out some new plans that kick in today (3/19/20).
Here are some of the new plans, courtesy of WGN-TV News:
- Walmart U.S. stores will adjust operating hours to 7 a.m. to 8:30 p.m.
- Stores that open later than 7 a.m. will continue their regular starting hours.
- This will further help associates restock the shelves for customers while continuing to clean and sanitize the store. While the store hours change for customers, our associates will continue to have access to their regular scheduled shifts and full hours.
- Walmart is offering special shopping hours. From March 24 through April 28, Walmart stores will host an hour-long senior shopping event every Tuesday for customers aged 60 and older. This will start one hour before the store opens. Pharmacies and Vision Centers will also be open during this time.
- Walmart stores will have limits for customers in certain categories including paper products, milk, eggs, cleaning supplies, hand sanitizer, water, diapers, wipes, formula, and baby food.
- Walmart stores will temporarily shut down their Auto Care Centers to allow associates to focus on stocking and cleaning in the rest of the store.
- Vision Centers will operate on a normal schedule, providing essential services only such as glasses repair and helping customers pick up existing orders. At least one associate will serve the needs of Vision Care customers, while the other associates will help in the rest of the store.
Dacona Smith, Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer, Walmart U.S.:
I think every one of us has had to adjust our daily routines in some way, and it’s likely that could continue. We are paying very close attention to our stores and communities and will continue making the necessary changes to help make sure our associates are taken care of and that our customers can get what they need. Let’s all take care of each other out there.