RPS 205 Announces Staggered Start Dates and Other School Changes
RPS 205 just released their latest back-to-school update, and although it does not include a switch to all remote learning, it does create some additional headaches for families who chose in-person learning this Fall. Or maybe that's just my opinion?
Let's get down to the gist of it:
- The start date for elementary students in RPS 205 will be staggered. Elementary students with last names that start with A-K will start school on Wednesday, September 2. Elementary students with last names that start with L-Z will start school on Thursday, September 3. All students will be in the classroom together on Friday, September 4. RPS 205 says the reason for this staggered start will is because; "We'll have a lot of new routines for our students and staff, and we'd like to introduce those to a limited number of students so we can practice together in small groups."
- Middle and High School students will no longer be paired for A/B Days. All middle and high school students who chose in-person learning will go to school only on Mondays and Thursdays. RPS says this change will limit the amount of in-person contact the teachers have with students, and will allow custodial staff more time to sanitize the schools. It will also allow teachers to give more time to remote-only students instead of having to split the time between the two groups.
- Here's the part where it really gets fun for working families...Wednesdays for all grade levels in RPS 205 will be "special attendance days". RPS says a shortened school day on Wednesdays will allow "students at all levels to receive additional support, enrichment and interventions. Wednesdays will feature a shortened schedule for students. In the afternoons, staff will attend their professional learning community meetings, or PLCs".
- The shortened school schedule for Wednesdays is:
- Elementary: 7:35 a.m. to 11 a.m.
- Middle: 9:15 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- High: 8:20 a.m. to 12:20 p.m.
RPS 205 did say more specific information from your child's school will be coming soon, and I hope it includes clarification about this Wednesday thing. Maybe my brain is too stressed to fully understand this shortened day thing, but I can't figure out if this means all students who chose in-person learning attend on Wednesdays, or only the ones that need additional support.
The back-to-school update failed to include any more clarification on how remote learning will work. Will it be a fully streamed class day? Will daily learning start times be flexible? I guess we'll just have to wait longer for answers to those important questions.