How Long Can You Keep Your Thanksgiving Turkey Leftovers?
It's a debate that has raged on for years in my family. 1 day? 3 days? 1 Week? 1 year?
When guests don't show up for Thanksgiving, that means more leftovers to be savored. For me that's a win-win! Especially when grumpy old Uncle Harry, who likes to talk about politics, his ex-wives and religion, all in the same sentence, decides he has better plans and decides not to partake.
For years I've wrestled with the question: How long can you safely keep Thanksgiving leftovers?
The answer is: It depends!
Assuming everything was cooked properly, According to registered dietitian Leslie Beck, Here's how long you can safely keep your Thanksgiving Leftovers
- Turkey 3-4 days FRIDGE, 2-3 months FREEZER
- Meat (ham, beef),3-4 days FRIDGE, 2-3 months FREEZER
- Gravy 1-2 days FRIDGE, 2-3 months FREEZER
- Cranberry sauce 10-14 days FRIDGE, 1-2 months FREEZER
- Stuffing 3-4 days FRIDGE, 1 month FREEZER
- Mashed potatoes, and yams 3-5 days FRIDGE, 10-12 months FREEZER
- Soup 2-3 days FRIDGE, 4-6 months FREEZER
- Vegetables 3-4 days FRIDGE, 2-3 months FREEZER
- Pumpkin pie 3-4 days FRIDGE, 1-2 months FREEZER
Beck is based at the Medisys clinic in Toronto.