How a Home Remedy Helped Me with My Cold
As a working mother with two kids, I expect to catch colds from them. My oldest is in second grade so she brings home germs all the time, because kids are adorable little germ factories.
Thursday night, I was up with my youngest who had the croup. She had been battling a cold all week, but it all came to a head Thursday night. I could tell by her cough (and internet research) what it was and took all the precautionary steps. I ran the shower so we could get the steam rolling, then set up the cold-air humidifier we have, and so on. By Friday night I could tell she was starting to feel better, but I was not. I even went to bed early and I'm normally a night owl, so that's odd for me.
Saturday morning I woke up felling awful. The sinus pressure was so bad that I didn't even want to wear my glasses. Which brings a whole new set of problems, seeing I'm kinda blind without them. So I went to Pintrest to see what remedies I might be able to find. My Mom has been preaching forever about the benefits of apple cider vinegar and honey, so I looked for ones that used them.
I found one that seemed pretty reasonable so I decide to give it a try. What I found was 7 Best Home Remedies for Sinus Headache Fast Relief. Now I didn't use all of these tips. For one, I don't have any essential oils and two I didn't feel like standing at my stove with a towel over my head. The ones I did use were a godsend!!! By Sunday evening I felt a million times better than I did Saturday morning.
The home remedies from this list I used were these:
- Stay Hydrated at All Times: This one is kind of a gimme, but I still did it. I will say I've probably consumed more water and tea than I normally would though.
- Enjoy Spicy Foods: This one isn't really difficult for me. I love spicy food. I had made curry earlier in the week for dinner and made chili another. Plus I put hot sauce and/or jalapenos on just about everything anyways.
- Warm Compress: I can't believe I didn't think of this one sooner. It was like instant relief for my sinus pressure.
- Get a Humidifier: As I said before, my youngest had the croup. So I had her set up with a humidifier in my room anyways. Because what child doesn't want their Mom close by when they're sick. And I enjoyed the snuggles, like the Beverly Goldberg smother I am. But if you don't have one of these, I highly recommend one for cold and flu season.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: I had my doubts about this and was worried it was gonna taste terrible, but it really does work! Doesn't taste that bad either. Mix together 2 tablespoons of Apple Cider Vinegar, 1 tablespoon of Honey, Half a Cup Warm Water, and a dash of Cayenne Pepper. Drink this magical elixir a couple times a day and you'll be feeling better in no time!
Also if you can get plenty of rest. I spent my Sunday snuggled up in bed with my two year old, watching movies, and taking naps. Believe me when I say that I thought Saturday morning I was toast, finally catching something that was gonna put me out of commission for awhile. But no, by Sunday night I felt better than I expected too.