Here’s A List Of Coronavirus Cancellations In Illinois
It's important to note that this list will continue to add items because of the fluidity of the COVID-19 virus spread.
The NBA has decided to call a halt to its current season, the NCAA tournament will be played in spectator-less venues, and schools of all levels are halting in-person classes.
The postponements and cancellations are coming in fast from all sorts of different areas, so here's a look at some of the many things in Illinois that are having the plug pulled because of coronavirus concerns.
- According to a statement on the Illinois State Democrats website, the Senate had been scheduled to be in session March 18 through 20.
- CME Group today announced it will close its Chicago trading floor as of the close of business Friday, March 13, 2020, as a precaution to reduce large gatherings that can contribute to the spread of coronavirus in line with the advice of medical professionals.
- Joe Biden cancels Illinois campaign event, saying the event will be a "virtual event."
- Chicago Flower & Garden Show, set for March 18-20 at Navy Pier, will not take place: "It is with great sadness that we are canceling this year's show. The World Health Organization has declared COVID-19, the Coronavirus, to be a global pandemic. The City of Chicago has canceled the St. Patrick's Day Parade. The City's health officials are encouraging people to avoid large groups at indoor events. We cannot ignore the advice of city leaders or the global health community. It would be irresponsible and dangerous."
- Chicago's St. Patrick's Day parade postponed. A day after saying it was still on, organizers opted to cancel the event, which draws thousands each year. Mayor Lori Lightfoot later said the event was just postponed, although no make-up date has been announced.
- South Side Irish Parade is on hold due to the coronavirus virus. A beloved local event for more than 40 years, the neighborhood celebration has also been postponed.
- Naperville Irish Parade Canceled
- St. Charles St. Patrick's Day Parade Canceled
- Dundee St. Patrick's Day Parade Canceled
- Guests will not be allowed at graduation ceremonies at Naval Station Great Lakes starting March 13. Ceremonies will still be held but will be livestreamed on Facebook. "This action is being taken out of an abundance of caution, to both ensure the welfare of Sailors and that RTC can continue its essential mission of producing basically trained Sailors," the Navy Recruit Training Command said.
- Plumbers Union Local 130 Won't Dye Chicago River Green This Year
- The World Congress of Cardiology and the International Housewares Association show, both set for McCormick Place, have been canceled, along with other large events.
- Special Olympics Illinois State Basketball Championships Canceled