My sole purpose in sharing these five things is to keep you out of harm's way. You can do whatever you want, but you've been warned.

In the last few weeks, I've seen several stories that have me a little concerned. My youngest child just finished her second year of school, which means she's the age that most often hears about where their hands should and shouldn't be.

While you likely will not end up in the principal's office for touching these things, there will be consequences.

If you touch these things:

  1. You'll be made fun of and told to stop.
  2. You'll likely be arrested.
  3. You'll be kicked out of your bedroom.
  4. You'll get blisters, welts, rashes, and nerve transmissions to your muscles will be affected, ultimately causing respiratory failure.
Canva
Canva
loading...

Illinois Peeps! 4 Things You Absolutely Should Not Touch This Summer

You live in Illinois, you should know full well this first one.

Food Giants Kraft And Heinz To Merge
Getty Images
loading...

#1 - DO NOT TOUCH a ketchup bottle if you're eating a Chicago-style hot dog.

Canva
Canva
loading...

If you want to be on point with your authentic Chicago dog skills, here is EXACTLY what you should do.


#2 - DO NOT TOUCH a Police Officer

Keep your hands to yourself and where the police can see them. You shouldn't touch them with your car either.

Canva
Canva
loading...
Get our free mobile app

 

#3 - DO NOT TOUCH a Bedroom thermostat set between 64-68 degrees

Experts say between 64 and 67 is the ideal temperature for sleeping and during Illinois' hot and humid summer it's very necessary.

Canva
Canva
loading...

#4 - DO NOT TOUCH Poison Hemlock

Poison Hemlock Proliferates On Kent Roadsides
Getty Images
loading...

This very toxic and deadly plant was used repeatedly in Shakespearean potions. Hemlock was also used for executions in Ancient Greece. It's now quickly spreading across the Midwest

It looks very much like Queen Anne's Lace, which is not harmful.

DO NOT TOUCH! Illinois' Deadly New Issue, Poison Hemlock Plant
loading...

Ingesting it is what makes it deadly, but even contact with its sap can create some major problems for you. Blisters, welts, and rashes, can all appear after you've been in contact with the plant. All parts of the hemlock plant contain toxic alkaloids that can interfere with nerve transmissions to your muscles, ultimately causing respiratory failure. You also don't want your pets coming in contact with the stuff.

You should definitely read this to see the places you're most likely to encounter it.

13 Stupid Illinois Laws

 

More From 96.7 The Eagle