It’s Weed Appreciation Day
I always thought that weed appreciation day was in April, but that's a different type of weed.
March 28th is the day that weeds are shown some love for all the benefits they possess. According to NationalDayCalendar..com, we humans have been using weeds for herbs and food for most of recorded history. They go on to say that some weeds are edible and nutritious, while others have medicinal benefits.
Again , I thought that Weed Appreciation Day was held on April 20th.
NationalDayCalendar.com has listed several other weeds that hold benefits if used properly:
- Dandelions - Not just fun to play with when your a kid, these greens are used in salads. Leaves can also be used for teas and wine. Dandelions contain a source of vitamin A and C, iron, fiber, and calcium. it is said that Native Americans used them to treat certain ailments.
- Yellow Dock/Burdock - This weed's stalk can resemble an artichoke and can be harvested and eaten like a root vegetable. It is a medicinal herb that is a good source of fiber, calcium, and potassium.
- Lamb's Quarter - Also known as goosefoot, the leaves of this weed can be added to lettuce salad. They can also be cooked and used as a replacement for spinach. Lamb's Quarter contains protein and vitamin A.
- Amaranth - In many parts of the world this weed is consumed as a leaf vegetable. The seeds can also be used like quinoa. Also known as pigweed, this weed is high in minerals and vitamins.
- Purslane - This can be eaten like a leaf vegetable too, but is considered a weed in the United States. The leaves, stem, and flower buds on this plant are all edible. It can be found growing in all 50 states and is an excellent source of antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals. Also high in omega-3 fatty acids.
- Dollarweed - The only aquatic plant on the list because it thrives in wet, sandy places. It is also known as pennywort. It can be found in North America and parts of South America. This edible weed can be used as a potherb or in a salad.
But before you go foraging through your backyard, make sure you've safely identified the weed as any on this list. Some internet research doesn't hurt either.