Metra’s Popular Holiday Train Is Coming to Illinois For The First Time Since 2008
Metra just announced that its popular holiday train will be making a triumphant return to Chicago this December after a nearly 15-year absence, and I can't wait to jump on board!
2022 Christmas Fun in Chicago
I'm guessing a lot of people in Illinois travel to Chicago for shopping, shows, dining, or fun at some point during the holiday season because there are a ton of cool things to see and do there. Here are just a few of the many Christmas things happening in Chicago over the next month:
- Lincoln Park ZooLights
- Ice Skating at Millenium Park
- Christkindlmarket and Winterland at Gallagher Way...and so much more!
While there is no shortage of holiday fun in the Windy City, here is one more thing you HAVE to add to this year's to-do list...
The Return of Metra's Holiday Train
I was pretty shocked to learn that Metra has not decorated or run a special holiday train since 2008! Maybe they decided this year was the perfect time for a comeback since the massively popular Polar Express Train Ride at Chicago's Union Station was canceled for 2022? Either way, I'm excited to check it out for the very first time!
Everything You Need to Know About Metra's Holiday Train
For three Saturdays this December, (12/3, 12/10, and 12/17), Metra will be offering Holiday Train rides with Santa and Mrs. Claus to a " North Pole winter wonderland at Millennium Station".
Metra's website says;
The train ride will feature visits from Santa, Mrs. Claus or elves, as well as goody bag handouts and other fun. Kids can also visit Santa at Millennium Station, where there will be holiday music, face painting and other fun activities.
The festively decorated Holiday Train will depart on all three Saturdays at 11 a.m. from University Park and then make several stops to pick up more riders on their way to Millenium Station. (see the route here).
Tickets aboard the Holiday Train will be $5 each, MUST be purchased in advance, and will officially go on sale on Monday, November 21, 2022.
Here are the Metra stations that will be selling Holiday Train tickets beginning November 21st;
- Millennium - 151 N. Michigan, Chicago
- Van Buren - 132 E. Van Buren, Chicago
- LaSalle Street - 414 S. LaSalle, Chicago
- Blue Island Vermont St. - 2300 W. Grove St., Blue Island
- Midlothian - 3750 W. 147th St., Midlothian
- Oak Forest - 4850 W.159th St., Oak Forest
- Tinley Park - 6700 South St., Tinley Park
- Tinley Park 80th Ave. - 8001 S. 80th Ave., Tinley Park
- New Lenox - 201 N. Prairie Road, New Lenox
- Joliet - 90 E. Jefferson Street, Joliet
Need to pack your social calendar with even more holiday fun? Here are more great options to check out...