Big Joint Tours 2014
There's nothing better than seeing a great show by a great band. Unless it's two shows by two great bands. Summer 2014 has no shortage of great joint tours, some indoors and some at the big outdoor sheds. Over the years, I've caught some great traveling caravans; KISS and Motley Crue, Neil Young and Soundgarden, Dylan and Santana. I once saw the Violent Femmes open for the Grateful Dead. Surreal to say the least. We're hosting a Block Party Weekend for the holiday. Big blocks of rock to drink and grill by. Here are some of this summer's big co-headlining tours of 2014 to whet your whistle:
- Motley Crue kicked off their Final Tour with Alice Cooper this week. They have a few stops in the area before the Crue call it quits, including a show on the 4th of July at Summerfest.
- Two of the biggest selling acts of the 70s and 80s are teaming up. Journey and the Steve Miller Band are tearing up the stage in Tinley Park later this month.
- It's well known that Guns 'n Roses were warned not to party outside of their dressing room when they opened for the newly sober Aerosmith in the late '80s. This summer, the bad boys of Boston are hitting the road with Slash and have a couple of shows in the area including Rock Fest.
- Two anniversaries for the price of one. Lynyrd Skynyrd and Bad Company both celebrate forty years of brotherhood with a tour that stops in Tinley Park on July 23.
- KISS returns to Alpine Valley this summer with another group of friends Def Leppard.
- The Faces reunion tour may never happen. Rod Stewart is keeping busy with a tour with Santana. They're taking the show indoors to the Allstate Arena in August.
- Ravinia always provides a special concert experience. Where else can you bring your own food and booze? Pack plenty in August for a guitar slinger's paradise with ZZ Top and Jeff Beck.