If your children ride the bus in the Rockton School District, you might want to talk with them about carbon monoxide poisoning symptoms.

onepony

WIFR reported that on Monday students heading to Stephen Mack Middle School viva bus were treated for carbon monoxide poisoning. According to the report 30 - 40 students were on a First Student bus and all were then looked at by paramedics. This bus has since been removed and is said to be never used again.

Both the Rockton School District and First Student Bus Company are performing independent investigations to attempt to locate the cause of the incident. The school district's superintendent has said that the students on the bus are doing well, with most feeling better by the end of that day. Rockton School District Superintendent Glenn Terry went on to say that until they know the exact cause of the carbon monoxide poisoning it's hard to determine what the plan for other buses moving forward should be.

Here's hoping they find the cause soon. This is the second time this school year that students have shown signs of carbon monoxide poisoning from riding a school bus.

Per mayoclinic.org:

Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless, tasteless gas produced by burning gas, wood, propane, charcoal or other fuel. Improperly ventilated appliances and engines, particularly in a tightly sealed or enclosed space, may allow carbon monoxide to accumulate to dangerous levels.

If you think you or someone you're with may have carbon monoxide poisoning, get into fresh air and seek emergency medical care."

Tell your children to beware of these signs and symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning:

  • Dizziness
  • Dull Headache
  • Nausea or Vomiting
  • Shortness of Breath
  • Weakness
  • Blurred Vision
  • Confusion