7 Tips to Shovel Snow Easily and Safely
You may be a "manly man" but if you don't shovel correctly you could be down for the count.
How many times have you heard a buddy say, "man I blew my back out shoveling to driveway". It happens, so let's make sure we are doing things safely.
- Stretch your muscles to prevent injury - May sound silly, but if your muscles are ready you'll prevent injury.
- Dress in layers to stay warm - I'll get this done quick, so I'll just throw on a light jacket...think again.
- Vow to take breaks - Unless you are a fine tuned athlete, resting is key.
- Wax your shovel blade - The idea behind waxing your shovel blade is to make it slippery, it won't stick and snow will slide right off.
- Bend your knees and lift with your legs - Lower back, hamstrings, even shoulder muscles can be protected with this.
- As you lift the snow, keep the shovel blade close to you - This will reduce muscle strains and pulls.
- Switch off between snow shoveling right-handed and left-handed, so that you're working different muscles.